Invisalign & ClearCorrect in Scripps Ranch
Invisalign and ClearCorrect are orthodontic systems that use clear aligners to gradually shift teeth into the desired position and alignment. These options are very popular among teens and adults that desire straighter teeth but do not want to wear conspicuous metal braces. A consultation with Dr. Jennifer Santoro at Village Center Dentistry can help determine whether Invisalign or ClearCorrect is suitable for you and your orthodontic goals.
Why Patients Love Invisalign and ClearCorrect
Invisalign and ClearCorrect offer many advantages over traditional orthodontic treatment:
- Removable aligners won’t interfere with your lifestyle. The aligners are easily removable for eating and drinking as well as brushing and flossing your teeth. There’s no chance of foods getting stuck in between the brackets like there is with braces.
- Discreet. Invisalign and ClearCorrect aligners are virtually invisible. You can wear them to school, work or in social settings without anyone noticing them.
- Work faster than other treatments. Total treatment time with Invisalign or ClearCorrect is significantly shorter than it is with traditional braces.
- Customized to your exact treatment needs. Your Invisalign or ClearCorrect aligners will be molded specifically to your teeth, so they should not slip or slide around in the mouth. The material is thin and lightweight and won’t irritate your gumline. Plus, there are no wires to poke the gums or other soft tissues of your mouth. Invisalign aligners are made from SmartTrack material for predictable and controlled tooth movements.
Invisalign/ ClearCorrect Treatment Details
The first step of treatment with a system like Invisalign and ClearCorrect is a consultation with Dr. Santoro. She will thoroughly evaluate your teeth in their current position and take X-rays and other records to get a closer look at the tooth roots and the jawbone. If she determines that one of these “clear braces” systems is suitable for your needs, impressions will be taken to send to the laboratory that constructs your customized aligners.
When your first set of upper and lower aligners is ready, you should wear them as much as possible. Dr. Santoro tells patients to aim for at least 22 hours per day for the quickest results, removing the aligners only to eat, drink, brush and floss. In approximately two weeks, you will change to the next set of aligners in your sequence. You will also have to come in to see Dr. Santoro to place “attachments” on the teeth made of clear composite to allow better rotation and movement. These attachments will be removed at the end of treatment. You will also have to come in for Dr. Santoro to perform something called “IPR,” which involves sanding the teeth to allow them to come together just right. (There is no harm to the teeth when this is done!) This process will continue until your teeth are beautifully straight and aligned. You will then periodically check in with Dr. Santoro so she can monitor the treatment progress.
Once treatment with Invisalign or ClearCorrect is over, you will wear a retainer at night for life to help preserve your perfectly straight smile.
Who Is a Candidate for Invisalign and ClearCorrect?
Invisalign and ClearCorrect can correct a wide variety of cases, including the following:
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Gap teeth or abnormal spacing between the teeth
- Overbites – the upper front teeth overlap the lower front teeth
- Minor Underbites – the lower front teeth project farther than the upper front teeth
- Minor Crossbite – some of the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth instead of on the outside
Not everyone is suited for orthodontic treatment with Invisalign and ClearCorrect. If you have serious orthodontic issues and advanced bite problems, you may be a better candidate for traditional braces or another orthodontic solution. Dr. Santoro can discuss these alternatives with you at the time of your consultation.
Invisalign and ClearCorrect Frequently Asked Questions
Will clear aligners work with veneers or bridgework?
If your teeth could benefit from both Invisalign and restorative work, it is best to delay the restorative work until you have finished treatment with Invisalign.
If you already have veneers, clear aligners should not interfere with them. If you currently have a bridge or other type of restoration, Dr. Santoro can advise if or how they will factor into your treatment. Bridges may need to be removed or modified until you are finished with Invisalign treatment.
How do you take care of the aligners?
You should remove your aligners when eating, drinking, brushing and flossing your teeth. The best way to clean the aligners is to rinse them with lukewarm water and brush with your regular nonabrasive toothpaste.
How many sets of aligners are usually needed?
The number of aligners needed depends on the severity of the problem and other factors. You may need anywhere from five to 20+ sets of aligners.
How painful is the treatment process?
Treatment with Invisalign and ClearCorrect in general is not painful. Some patients however experience pressure sensitivity whenever switching to a new set of aligners. This usually goes away within a few days.
Why Choose Dr. Santoro for Invisalign or ClearCorrect Treatment
Dr. Santoro has undergone special training to become qualified and proficient in treatment with Invisalign and ClearCorrect. She will evaluate your orthodontic needs and recommend the course of action that fits your lifestyle, personal preferences and budget. Dr. Santoro will make herself available to answer any questions you have prior to, during or after your treatment with Invisalign or ClearCorrect.